War stories?!?

My father once said, parents have war stories and people without children have theories. This could not be more true.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

They never told me!

Everyone has heard those jokes about husbands not listening to wives and about how men can't function without being told what to do. I'm not going to lie. I completely believe both of these things. And it's not because I hate men, it's because I'm surrounded by my husband and sons every day and I see evidence of not listening and being completely lost while doing easy tasks. Society implies that this happens when the female is dominant and the males just get used to having to do what she says. This is not the case. I am here to tell you that males are born needing to be told what to do 24/7. This little story is evidence of that.

Cale had his 2nd grade play last week, it was called, 'The Cheese Stands Alone'. After reading what I just typed, I just realized how fitting the title of the play is to this story.

We had Skyped my parents so that Cale could talk to them about his play. My mom asked him how everything went and he said that it was okay - then refused to elaborate. I don't know about kids that you know, but with mine, I have to drag things out of them like everything is locked in a top secret file. My mom started peppering him with questions and he gave each of them one word answers.

Finally, she asked him what the play was about. Cale got this frantic and startled look on his face and said, "I don't really know what it was about. She (the music teacher) never told me."

This child is 8 years old. He is fluent in the English language. All of the songs and dialogue in the play were in English. How did he not know what it was about? He worked on this play for 2 months. I guess next time I need to get all of the info and make a Sponge Bob cartoon out of it, because goodness knows that he can recite every single word of one of the episodes that he saw three years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment