War stories?!?

My father once said, parents have war stories and people without children have theories. This could not be more true.

Monday, February 28, 2011

If you can talk to cats, we have another problem on our hands!

We recently received two cats. Usually people are excited about their new animals. I was one of those too. At first. Until I realized what it actually entailed. I wish that I was talking about upkeep - you know, food, water, toys, vet trips. Oh no. Not for my household. Having new animals means two things. I have to get onto Peyton constantly for picking up the cats (because he likes to carry them by their legs) and I also get to scold Peyton for torturing the cats. Really no pleasure has derived from having animals. It's more work for me because I have to know where the poor furry animals are at all times so that I can run interference for them.

I'm going to tell you a little about each animal so that you can really understand what is going on. Nicky is this HUGE black cat. He's often ticked off at the world because someone isn't paying him any attention or because his claw is stuck in the carpet again. You see, Nicky is a poor excuse of a cat. Sure, he's rude and stuck up like other cats, but when Nick is walking around the house, he frequently face plants because his claws get stuck in the carpet (or the couch. or the bed. or a blanket. or your shirt) and he doesn't know how to retract them. So I have to go up and free him every few hours. Lucie is our other black cat. She lives to make my life horrible. She tries to run away (which you will understand why in a little while), she tries to eat our food, she begs like a dog, rips up furniture and steals my hair bands.

Lucie is Peyton's favorite target. He will drag her to his room and "play" with her, which usually means setting up his car track to hit her butt when she's laying down. He doesn't mess with Nick because he learned early on that when he makes Nick mad, Nick swats at him with his claws and then just sits there yanking your flesh off while he tries to get his claws out of you.

A couple of months ago, I was doing the dishes and Peyton was helping me by putting the silverware in the dishwasher when I needed to go grab a cup that I had left in the bedroom. I come back and the dishwasher is closed with Peyton standing right there - beaming.

I should have known that something was up. I wash a couple more dishes off and then open the dishwasher door so that I can put them in. I pull out the bottom rack and what comes out with it? Yeah. Lucie. She's just sitting there. Like it's an every day occurrence.

I asked Peyton what she was doing in there and he told me that she needs a bath. And that she told him she wanted to be put into the dishwasher. We have a Dr. Dolittle Jr. on our hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment