War stories?!?

My father once said, parents have war stories and people without children have theories. This could not be more true.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

It's on FIRE!

All stay at home parents have that moment. The moment when you have to go to the bathroom, or else. Cale was about three and a half and I had one of these days. You know that commercial, "Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now, gotta go, gotta go, gotta go", it was kinda like that.


On those occasions, you can either get the child secured in their room with a toy or occupied, so that when YOU are occupied, your kid doesn't get into anything. Unfortunately, I was in the middle of fixing Cale lunch and I didn't have time to get him buttoned down. I had just put one of those frozen burritos in the microwave for him when nature decided to call. I told him to go to his room and play and I had to run.


I'm in the bathroom and I hear beep ... beep ... beep. Well, this isn't going to be good. I started yelling at Cale to leave stuff alone and go play in his room and I hurried as fast as I could.


I am just buttoning things up when Cale starts banging on the door yelling, "It's on FIRE!!!"


I rush out and on my way to the kitchen, I smell it. It smells like a burrito with something a little special added in. Mmmm ... the smell of melting plastic.


I fling open the microwave and there it is. Cale's first homemade brick. The burrito was completely black, sitting in a nest of melted plastic plate. The plate and burrito started out as two items and ended up as one.


Cale just kept saying over and over, "It was on FIRE!!"


Turns out, Cale pushed 5 as many times as he could, then start. All I can say is that wet cat, dirty sock, industrial smell didn't leave the house for weeks. WEEKS. I don't know if that burrito ever actually did catch fire, it was sure smoking when I pulled it out though. Needless to say, now we have a microwave that has a lock button on it so the little turkeys can push buttons all they want and nothing happens.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should have Cale recant his version. It was pretty hilarious the way he described the smoke coming out!

    ReplyDelete