War stories?!?

My father once said, parents have war stories and people without children have theories. This could not be more true.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Megaphones should be illegal.

First-time parents are ignorant. After you have your second one, this is something that you come to realize. And it's not simply because you may have bought things that you were ADAMANT that you would use when everyone told you that you wouldn't (and then end up not using) and it's not because you look back and say, why in the world did I have that viewpoint ... that is completely useless. First-time parents are ignorant because of the things that you let your children play with. This doesn't make sense? Neither does the fact that, oops ... the store doesn't have batteries anymore for your really loud and annoying toys ... that's soooo sad. I'm not the only parent that uses that excuse, I'm sure.


When our eldest, Cale, was 2 years old he had a friend that lived across the street. Cale and this little boy would play every day and his mother and I were really good friends. Were is the operative word here.


One day, this little boys mother gave Cale a special present. A megaphone. I thought that it was a fun little gift and Cale loved playing with it.


Children have these internal clocks and alarm systems. They alert the child when the parents are thinking of sleeping in so that the child can make sure that the parent doesn't get enough sleep and therefore, the child can get away with more stuff.


It was maybe 6, 6:15 in the morning and I am sound asleep. I get startled awake with a megaphone in my face and what I thought was my cute little angel saying, "MOM ... OATMEAL!!!"


I popped out of bed, scared half to death and find Cale standing next to the bed with an excited look on his face. He was so proud of himself. I'll just say this, I was proud of myself for not having an accident in the bed.


It was sad when the megaphone was lost that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment