War stories?!?

My father once said, parents have war stories and people without children have theories. This could not be more true.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

No, you may NOT have a slip-n'-slide in the house!

I think that our youngest son, Peyton, has put a gps tracker on me. This sounds crazy, of course, but it is the only reasoning that I can think of for how he knows when I'm no where around him. Once again, he chose to wreck the house when I was doing laundry. Our laundry room is on the other side of the house basically and anytime I'm over there, disaster occurs.


Back in this past July, I was doing laundry, listening to his constant chattering. Any parent knows that after a while of this chattering, you kind of turn the volume down mentally on it so that you can have a moment of clear thought. This is what I must have done because I didn't hear him stomp down the hall carting all of his pillows and stuffed animals from his room. He stacked all of his pillows and various stuffed furry friends up against the wall, then proceeded to grab a bottle of cooking oil off of our bar.


Keep in mind that I had only used 1 tbsp. of this oil when I was baking something earlier that day and I had neglected to put it back into the spice cabinet. So, I guess you could say that I asked for this to happen.


So this is how it all went down. I was folding laundry and hanging things up, then I hear the trash can lid close. I looked over and didn't see anything so I had to go investigate. I walk right by his leaning tower of pillows and such without even noticing them and go straight to the trash can. I open the lid and see an empty bottle of cooking oil. Hmmm ... I actually assumed that this was the bottle that I had emptied earlier. Wrong. Way wrong.


I decide to go check on the little human tornado and see what he's up to. As I start walking down the hall, I know what he has been up to. He had emptied the entire bottle of oil down the center of the hall and mommy was walking in it. I slosh into his room and ask him what in the world he was doing and he looks at me with that little angel face and tells me nothing, but can he watch Boomerang.


Is his memory really that short term?? No. He knows what he's doing. He thinks that if he gives me that cute look and denies it, I'll forgive him. And unfortunately, that little turkey is right. I told him that we had a mess to clean first and then I would turn it on for him.


Walking back down the hall is when I saw the Peyton-made ladder. This kid is pretty inventive. How long did it take him to come up with that? Did he try it out in his room to see the reach that he would get or was it just a first try success? I guess we'll never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment