War stories?!?

My father once said, parents have war stories and people without children have theories. This could not be more true.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

You are NOT old enough to drop an f-bomb!

Holiday's can be great things. The family gets together, sometimes the only time of year that you get to see each other because of how far you live away from each other. With our family, it is almost like a sacred time together. We always have tons of plans, food and laughs together.


The 2010 Christmas season was an especially big time for our family because my parents were moving to another country due to a new job and my little sister was bringing a guest with her. This was the first time that she had brought someone to a family get-together, so we knew that it was a big thing. Everyone was coming to our place and I had stressed over everything being perfect.


Of course, perfection never happens when you have children. Not that my kids aren't good kids. They are. Most of the time. But perfection really doesn't happen with kids because they are unpredictable. You never know what they are going to say or do because they don't have filters. They do and say whatever comes to their mind. Even if it isn't the right thing.


All of my family arrived and we were having a great time. We were laughing and joking and getting to know our special guest. Then it came time for me to start fixing our meal. I was in the kitchen getting everything prepped and Peyton was sitting with his dad at the dining room table and everyone else was in the living room. I was fixing the mashed potatoes and I had the mixer going, all the while, joining in with the conversations going on around me.


The next thing I know, Eric has said, "What did you say?" twice to Peyton. I turn off the mixer and listen in. Eric just has this stunned look on his face. He is completely speechless. I look to Peyton to see if there is any indication on his face as to what was said. He looks serious, his little brow is furrowed and he has a frown on his face. Eric asks him to repeat himself for a third time. What Peyton said next almost made me pass out.


 Peyton: What is that loud f-ing noise? (He was talking about the mixer)


The only difference is that he actually dropped the f-bomb. My family was quiet for a few seconds and then everyone either puts their head down or covers their mouths and starts laughing. Nice. Isn't raising a 4 year old great? I was completely mortified and of course, when Peyton wasn't within earshot, that phrase was repeated. Endlessly. I guess he hadn't gotten the memo that the ice had already been broken. If it hadn't, he would have smashed it to smithereens.

No comments:

Post a Comment