War stories?!?

My father once said, parents have war stories and people without children have theories. This could not be more true.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I'm glad I speak Peyton

During Spring Break, the kids and I had a great time. The boys didn't fight as much as usual, so we were able to do a lot of things that we can't normally do because they are at each others throats. Like play board games. Usually, board games start off fun and in the end, someone is bleeding or permanently scarred (either physically or emotionally), the board is ripped in half, most of the pieces are missing and the cats have run for cover.

So we broke out Hungry Hungry Hippos - which I now believe was made by a man who wanted to torture his wife with the constant begging to play this annoying and extremely loud game. One day I am going to "accidentally" lose all of the marbles for it. That will be a very, very sad day. But not for me. 

We played that horrible game for almost an hour and Cale asked if he could play Battleship with me. Peyton was crushed, he wanted to play with us so badly, so we waited until he tuckered out and then got to bombing each others ships. I'm gonna tell this to you straight. I love Battleship. Great game. But it's not that much fun after the first hour because you have an indecisive child who can't decide what to call. 

We finished after what seemed like an epic 17 hour game and Peyton comes out of his room. He spies the game. And immediately starts begging to play. He just didn't understand that he wasn't old enough. And this was really my fault, I should have put it away because he wouldn't have remembered about it if it wasn't right in front of him. 

I had to tell him that when he was a little older, I would play with him, but right now, he's too little. That seemed to satisfy him for a little while. Then 15 minutes later, he came and asked the same question - he received the same answer. 

He eventually went into his room and was playing with his Tag books. I sat down to read a book myself and he came in again, this time he said nothing. He had his Handy Manny blanket trailing behind him and I thought that he was just going to sit down on the couch next to me. No dice.

I peek at him out of the corner of my eye and see him staring at me. All the while, he is slowly sliding his blanket over the Battleship box. I kept my book up and was watching him over the top of it because I really wanted to see how this was going to play out. He covered the entire game with his blanket and was pulling it towards him - he had come to the conclusion that if I wasn't going to let him play it, he was going to steal it. He was so concentrated on his task that when I asked him what he was doing, he actually jumped. Then he yelled at me, "I JUST WANT TO PLAY BUTTSHIP, MOM!

Buttship? I'm just glad that I knew what he was talking about, otherwise I would have been thoroughly confused. 

No comments:

Post a Comment